Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Gratituesday 5

It's time for a little shout out to the Lord, so you know that it must be Gratituesday, where one can be vocally thankful for something in life.

I'm so thankful that Christian music has evolved to a point of being as good or better than secular music. When I was growing up, most of the Christian music was good, but not anything that you would want to hear on the radio. It seemed mostly sappy or slow or slightly operatic... not exactly the stuff you want to listen to or share with your friends. (That's just my opinion. You were more than entitled to have liked the early origins of Christian music.)

Now, I love the musical offerings of today's artists. Mercy Me, Monk and Eagle, Lifehouse, Superchick, Hawk Nelson... those are just a few (very few) of the artists that have worthwhile, positive lyrics set to rocking music, music that is for the most part above par to the secular songs. We've taken to giving today's Christian music as presents to family and friends or for no reason at all. We just like the artistry available to us nowadays.

Speaking of new music, I was one of the hundred who received the new Matt Maher CD.

mattmaherbanner

I didn't want to post on it right away; I wanted to listen to it well and often to give an honest opinion about it. Here it is: It is AWESOME! I like the tender reality of his voice that has the capability of full throttle in the climatic parts. The songs are authentic and relatable to Christians in their everyday walk with God. My favorite song on the CD is Lay It Down. It's such a simple yet poingnant song about letting ourselves lay everything down at the feet of God, where it belongs in the first place.

If you're looking for a new addition to your summer rides, I highly recommend that you get this album.

Labels: , ,