Friday, February 03, 2006

Lazy Sunday Afternoons

This Sunday will be the last day of football for a while. This is a major bummer to a girl like me. No more plays to watch, no more football marathons that last from when we get home from church to when we go to Lifegroup, no more teams to cheer on from this Sunday on…

What am I supposed to do with my Sundays now?

Clean house? Yeah, right…

Play with the kids? Okay, I could do that…

There’s always the ever-popular Naptime. Ahhh… pure bliss…

I remember hating Sundays after church. Nothing but really old movies or golf (yawn) on TV, friends out at their grandparents for Sunday family get-togethers, my brother found any excuse to stay away from me and my parents always took a nap. Never failed. I swore right then and there at age 7 that I would never do that to my kids.

Okay, so I’ve had to eat my words since then. Boy, was I a big liarhead for that one!

Now I understand what my parents really meant when they told me to go find something to do… They meant that if I wanted to see my next birthday, I would vamoose long enough to let then regain some of the time lost in the week due to all the work load, school load, parenting, church activities, housework, and activities in which we kids were involved. Just let them have an hour of uninterrupted time.

I get it now. That’s why I threaten my kids with the same intensity that my parents used on me.

Now I lie down and hope that I get to sleep. Since I don’t sleep well in the first place, it usually means that I will be able to relax for a while. Usually what happens is that Mr. Right zonks out and I lie there long enough to make sure he is asleep, and I read. At least I get to catch up on my book obsession.

After an hour the kids come creeping into the room to see if we are awake, with such a look of hope on their faces. Since I remember that time of wanting to be with someone, I usually get up to be with them, whether it is to help them focus on activities they can do together or by themselves or to play some sort of game with them.

Maybe I can break the cycle of boring Sunday afternoons after all. At least until next football season.

Labels: