Friday, January 20, 2006

Out of the Mouth of Babes

Galatians 6:9 “Let us not become tired of doing good.”

Last night after BB practice, the coach gathered all the kids together for a devo. They happened to sit next to where I was sitting, reading a book, sort of listening to the conversation. (This is how I heard the kid’s comments.)

Each week the children are given the opportunity to say the memory verse for the week, each verse supporting the main verse for this BB season which is II Peter 1:5-7 “For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, love.”

All the girls said the scripture for this week (Gal 6:9) and then the coach asked them what they thought the verse meant.

One girl replied, “It’s like when I have to go to tennis practice and then basketball practice, and I don’t want to, but I go because I have to go.”

Another girl said, “I hate doing homework. But I gotta do it.”

Another one mentioned, “Like when my little brother really, really annoys me, I need to remember to not be mean to him.”

One girl’s answer I didn’t catch right away. It was still registering in my head, when I thought, “Who said that?”

The coach was on the same wavelength because he sat up straighter; he hushed everyone and said, “Did you hear what she just said? Would you please repeat that so that everyone can hear it?”

Then my timid little girl said again, “It’s like when you give money to God, but you don’t want to do it because you want it, but you do because you know it is the right thing to do to help others. It doesn't always feel good when you give it, but it does feel good knowing that you are doing what God wants you to do and taking care of others.”

The coach turned to me with a look of amazement and then he smiled at me. “That’s right. That is exactly what the verse means.”

After the girls dispersed, he pulled me aside and said that he was surprised at such depth, especially in a 9 year old. He told me that I was doing a good job raising her. I told him that it’s all God.

I am constantly amazed at the way God is still teaching me basic, fundamental thoughts, especially when the teaching comes through my children. These are the times when I realize that Mr. Right and I are not the only teachers in the family, and we still have a lot to learn.

Labels: