Thursday, January 05, 2006

I'm A Football Fan

Yes, I am one of those women. I love football, both college and pro, although I prefer pro. I love most everything about the games. (But not the cheerleading. To me, it’s just a stupid annoyance that has nothing to do with the game. No, I’m not jealous. I just don’t see their purpose at the game other than to shake and to make men drool. No one can really hear them cheer at a game unless you are sitting on the first four rows. They are a completely unnecessary distraction that, if banned, would not interrupt the flow of the game)

So sorry… I digress. (I’m off the soapbox now.)
  • I like watching the plays.
  • I like making calls.
  • I love knowing (most of the time) what the flag infractions are for before the ref calls it.
  • I love calling the infraction before the flag is thrown. (I can usually impress Mr. Right with that one!)
  • I like knowing players’ names and knowing on what teams they play. I have my favorites for different reasons. (Peyton Manning has been my favorite since he played for the Vols. If I ever have a make a wish moment, it would be to meet with him to talk football and other issues. He just seems like such a down to earth guy with a generous heart and a great attitude.)
  • I like going to games, tailgating, eating hotdogs, standing and cheering most of the game, and leaving with the feeling that I was involved.
  • I like watching games at home, yelling encouragements to the players. My daughter has already reminded me countless times that they can’t hear me. I yell loud enough that I think they can.
  • I love being surprised with a new play thrown in when least expected. (Fake punts and someone else quarterbacking with the quarterback on the field as a receiver to name two. That’s just cool!)
  • I like rooting for the underdogs (most days). Next season is the Browns time!!!
  • I like that you have a number of people on the field where everything has to go just right in order to make a play.
  • I like that things rarely go just right because there are a number of different people on the field.

However there are a few things I don’t like about it (besides the cheerleaders – put some clothes on for goodness sake!)

Sorry, I did it again. (Soapbox back in hiding place now.)

  • I don’t care for beer.
  • I don’t like buffalo wings.
  • People who have too much beer and wings and proceed to sprout their ignorance or profanities at the games. They should be banned from breathing.
  • I don’t care to know statistics off the top of my head.
  • I don’t understand fantasy football. I don’t understand why people put so much time and effort into a game that will never exist except in people’s heads or on computer screens.
  • I hate seeing the team that is being beaten badly look so dejected. (Breaks my heart!)
  • I don’t like the Raiders. Don’t know why. I’ve always felt that way. May have something to do with the skull and crossbones.
  • I hate that the season ends on February 5, 2006. Then it’s all basketball and golf. Ugh!

And that, my friends, is when I start blogging about books or movies or belly button lint.

Got any suggestions? I’ll have lots of time on my hands very soon…