Monday, August 07, 2006

I'm So Blue-oo-oo, Blue-oo-oo, Blue-oo-oo-oo, I'm So Blue, I Don't Know What To Do

(That's from Veggie Tales in case you were wondering...)

This weekend has been the oddest ones for me. On Friday, my boss walked in, looked at me directly and said how are you doing, and I did something I think he should have expected knowing me but didn’t. I told the truth. I completely laid it out there that I didn’t feel like myself, that I was having a hard time sleeping lately (very little sleep this past week) and that everything seemed off. I then said, “Oh, was that a little too much honesty? Sorry, you just asked at a vulnerable moment.”

He nodded his head, said sorry I was feeling that way and reaffirmed that he did ask how I was doing, not how I was not doing, so the honesty thing was just fine. We then went about our morning like we normally would. But at 10 AM, he called out to me to say that both Leisa (whose father had passed away a couple of weeks ago and who was preparing for the memorial the next day) and I could go at noon. This is how happy and appreciative I was – I didn’t even argue. I just said thank you ever so very much and then told Leisa about the command from the best boss in the world. She looked just as relieved and thankful as I did.

So with Friday afternoon off and me being sleepy, what did I do? Well, I tried to nap, but that did nothing for me. Naps and I do not always coordinate well. So I watched a movie (Ray - I can see why Jamie Foxx won that Oscar now) and then I did some laundry, dishes, weeding and worked on some papers that needed to be filed. When Mr. Right came home, I was so blue with lack of sleep and frustration that I asked him to be in charge of dinner. (He made some mean chicken salad wraps.) After that he just held me while we watched Once Upon A Time In Mexico, which I must say had me in stitches. It was just the kind of movie that I needed to see that night. Yes, I know... two movies on one day, but trust me, it was all that I could handle.

I did manage to catch about 6 hours sleep that night, and the next day was full of things to do. We have been working on a surprise for our daughter’s birthday (can’t tell because she reads the blog, but I’ll tell later after she comes home next weekend), so we were trying to finish that up. We have some friends who are moving at the end of the month, so we wanted to be of assistance to them with packing. We had dinner with them and then finally made it home late. In bed by 10:30 PM, but the night wasn’t meant for sleeping I guess. Up at 3:30 AM, I was desperately praying to God for sleep. At 4:30 I woke Mr. Right to ask for a backrub because many times it helps to relax for slumber. At 5:30 I started changing beds to see if a different room would help. At 6:15 I gave it up for good and just got up.

Cranky and church should never go hand in hand, but that was the call for the day. To be honest, I was just angry with God. I need sleep. He knows I need sleep and yet I can’t sleep. What’s up with that?! I really wanted to have a great attitude – and I did at times, but it was really hard. Mr. Right ordered me to bed after lunch and I willingly obeyed. I did fall asleep finally. I slept a solid 2 ½ hours, the kind of sleep where you wake up sweating, so deep and hard it was. I guess God wanted to show me that He is God despite my grumpiness at Him and that He still loves no matter the mood. For that I am extremely thankful.

Amazing what a little nap can do. Suddenly the world didn’t feel so oppressive and blue and my view wasn’t so bleak. I felt like doing things again. I was ready for the dinner we were having that night at friends’ house. I really was anxious to watch a football game that was playing, despite it being a Raiders’ game. And I really loved that man who ordered me to my room. He did everything he could to make it so that I could sleep that afternoon.

So after a fantastic meal and talk with our friends, we went home to return to bed. I was able to fall asleep fast (which I worried about after that hard nap) and stayed asleep until 6:30 AM. When the alarm sounded for us to exercise, Mr. Right said I was sleeping like an angel and he didn’t have the heart to wake me, so no exercise for me this morning. Woo hoo! (Isn’t he the best man?!) I’ll get in a walk or run after work to make up for it.

I guess I wrote all that to say that it is amazing how different one day can be from the next, especially if I get some rest.

Blessings to you all.

Oh, and if you want the recipe for the chicken salad wraps, here it is.

Chicken Salad Wraps (serves 2)

1 cooked chicken breast (I used the old slow cooker idea to cook the chicken.)
2 Tsp mayo (or enough to your desired consistency)
1 tsp mustard
¼ cup celery, diced
¼ cup onion, diced finely
Salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste
4-6 leaf lettuce leaves, washed and whole

Suggested accompaniments: sliced tomatoes, sliced avocados, shredded cheese

Using 2 forks, shred chicken breast. Combine remaining ingredients, excluding leaves. Add salt, pepper and garlic powder to your desired taste.

Fill leaves with mixture, adding other accompaniments if desired. (We had ours with tomatoes, and it was fabulous.) Eat like a wrap/taco.


Link me baby:

Create a Link

<< Home