Wednesday, November 01, 2006

The Day After

Yesterday, my daughter woke up and came into the kitchen with a gleeful "It's Halloweeeeeeeeeeen!" as the first utterance of the morning. My son basically did the same thing 5 minutes later. I'm getting the feeling that they have been waiting for this day for a while.

I remember being so excited about this very day - a holiday where it was a treat to go to school to show off your costume and to spend the latter half of the day partying for the night to come. My parent always appreciated the fact that I was sent home hyped up on sugar on the day when I was going to go beg for candy. They loved how it always brought me out of my shy shell. I'm sure they were forever worrying about whether or not I would ever just say what I felt and if I would ever have enough energy to make it through the night.

It's amazing to me how much fun can be had just going around house to house demanding free stuff. I think I'm going to invent a clever little holiday for moms called "Halloclean" - a day where we get to go house to house with our buckets (and mine would be the hugest one you can find) and "trick or clean" for cleaning products. I could see me ooing and ahhing over the Cascade Action Pacs, Clorox Bleach and Bon Ami. Let's not forget vinegar - the universal cleaner - and all the new cleaning supplies that I need to purchase but keep forgetting to buy (like green scouring pads and a new toilet bowl brush). But I'm totally tossing the cheap stuff like the generic dishwashing soap that won't suds up no matter how much you pour into the sink. Come on people we want the good stuff. We could have our own "clean" fun. Who's with me?

But getting back to the real deal, I being the fabulous mother that I am only have one picture to show of my daughter, and to honest, it's from last year. She was a "Colonial girl", but she kept getting offended when everyone called her a "Prairie girl". What's wrong with people? You would think that they would know their eras. (I thought she looked more like a Prairie girl too, but please don't tell her that!)



I have none of my son because... well, I don't. But he was the cutest Ben 10 you could have ever seen. Yeah, I hadn't heard of him either. But my son can tell you AAAAAAAAALLLLL about him, every cotton-pickin' detail you could ever imagine... and some that you can't, in case you have an hour or two to spare. (This is what comes from sending your kids to Grandma's for the summer...)

I wanted to go trick or treating for one reason and one reason only. I heard that there was a street that catered to the adults. (Umm, no... not that kind of catering. Get your mind out of the gutter Jeana and Kelsey.) We tried to find it last year, but to no avail. We just weren't smart enough to MapQuest it last year, but this year we had our wits about us. And we found it! Woo hoo! We were given shots of a liquor of our choice (I chose Kahlua - coffee and liquor in one fine form), jello shots and witches brew. Let me just say that I'm so happy that we found this street at the end of our allotted time to collect candy. I'm also saying that I want to move to that street. Those are good neighbors. That's all I'm saying.

I slept well last night.

On the way home, our daughter asked, "When we get home, may I take a bath?" What sweet manners! What great grammar! What a great idea because it was nippy out there! She is so my child. The kids jumped into the bath while we checked out the candy.

And as a complete side note, I would like to ask why people buy the peanut butter taffy candy in the orange and black wrappers. I haven't found a single child (or adult) who likes them. I mean, you are wasting a perfect opportunity to give away some great candy. (Oh, please don't feel offended if that's what you gave out last night. I thought that I should point out that most of the time, that candy goes into the trash, so you might feel better if you handed out a candy that will actually be enjoyed. And if you like that candy, please let me know because honestly, I haven't found a single person who likes it. And I've asked.)

My son was allowed to pick out one thing to eat and do you know what he picked? An apple. An APPLE! Sheesh. If it weren't for the fact that he looks just like me, I'd say that he was switched at the hospital. To add insult to this candy loving injury, my daughter chose the same thing! I mean, come on kids, between the option of snickers or a piece of fruit, any other kids would take the candy and run! Oh, I see that we have some retraining to do in our house.

But only after I conveniently and mysteriously relieve them of all their Milk Duds, of course. Hey, I've got to do something to show them how it's done. Just setting a great example according to the Bible: "Train up a child in the way that he should go."

It's a hard task, but somebody's got to do it.

Labels: