Friday, November 16, 2007

Case In Point

*Edited at the end*

Last night my friend Debbie called to apologize because she scheduled herself to eat dinner with us, but somewhere along the way she forgot about it.

I told her not to worry about it, that these things happen. I took no offense from it. (And really, the stellar meal I made didn't turn out so stellar. The chicken was dry as well as the honey-ginger carrots, so in one way, it was a relief that she wasn't partaking of that meal.) I told her it all worked out for the best, but that if she wanted to avoid me, she would have to come up with a different excuse next time.

We laughed and chatted for about 10 minutes, and I kid you not, these words came out of my mouth before I realized it: "Well, I've had enough."

Classy, huh? I'm such a gem of a friend.

Silence stretched out for a second as I tried to grab those words out of the air and shove them back into my mouth. I apologized to Debbie, laughing at my moment of stupidity. I indicated all the better things I could have said - like "I need to go now" or "Oh look the cat's on fire. I'll talk to you later."

Debbie, ever the good and understanding friend, said with a smile in her voice, "That's okay, Shalee. I know how you are about being on the phone. I feel good that I got to talk to you as long as I did." Then we made a future date to get together again.

Oh, I'm learning the ropes of humility everyday.

I'm sure they have doctors for this kind of mental illnesses. I might even go see one, but I'm sure it would all have to start with a phone call so we know what the chances of my going will be...

Anyone up for a MIRL?

*I've been totally worried the last couple of days now that I've peeled myself open the last couple of days. These post aren't to say that I don't want to talk to anyone ever. It just means that when we're on the phone and I start acting weird, you know it's probably time for me to go.  And if we are MIRLing, don't let my total dorkiness put you off.  Remember, I still want to be a part of the Girls Only club.  I'm not really a total loss.  A mess maybe, but not a loss.  Thank you very much.  The following has been a paid public announcement by Shalee's Diner.  You may now continue your eye rolling.

Labels: ,