Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Fall into Reading 2007 Wrap Up















I don't know what happened. I was completely ready to wrap up this challenge, but then some kids threw me off with their great deeds and I wasn't able to think straight for a while. I don't mind at all though...

Here's my list, but along the way I did manage to review a few. If I did post a review, I'll link to it since you'll have much better details on the posts; otherwise I'll give a quick thought about the few I didn't take the time to review.

1. The Family Tree by Carole Cadwalladr (see review)

2. The Woods by Harlan Coben (see review)

3. The Last Wife of Henry VIII by Carolly Erickson - I enjoyed the aspect of seeing Henry VIII from the view of his last wife, Catherine Parr. The author was able to base the story over the life of Parr, which included all of Henry's previous wives. And yes, Henry is still the same womanizing, selfish man that he proved himself to be through his words and deeds.

4. Thursday Next in first among sequels by Jasper Fforde - I LOVE the quirkiness of Fforde and his series. Play on words, unlikely characters and impossible situations help to charge this storyline. But this is a series that you need to start from the beginning, so I suggest that you pick up The Eyre Affair, settle in for some fun, mind-bending reading and then get ready to pick up the next one at your library!

5. Mary Queen of Scotland and the Isles by Margaret George - A very LONG, yet enjoyable read. What a troubled, misplaced queen who never knew the true meaning of home. I didn't know much about Mary Queen of Scots except that she had the unfortunate timing of breathing in the same time as Elizabeth I.

6. The Bible (Psalms - Songs of Solomon) by God - Reading through the Bible has become one of my favorite activities. I don't rush so that I don't miss some things. I don't make myself read everyday so that it doesn't become a chore (although I should because I enjoy it when I do.) But I do feel so much better and much closer to God when I do let his words soak into me. If you haven't read through the Bible, I suggest that you just start. One day you'll be really glad that you did.

7. Out To Canaan by Jan Karon - Although I really like this series, sometimes they are on the calm side when I want action. I just read these when I'm ready for a relaxing read.

8. A Girl Named Zippy by Haven Kimmel (see review)

9. A Wrinkle In Time by Madeleine L’Engle (see review)

10. Gift from the Sea by Anne Morrow Lindbergh (see review)

11. The Time Traveler’s Wife by Audrey Niffernegger (THE best work of contemporary fiction - see review)

12. The Patron Saint of Liars by Ann Pachett - I loved this book despite the fact that the main character remained selfish and self-centered throughout the beginning to the end. I really wanted to reach in and smack her time and time again, but she did have moments of beauty that were astounding in actions. That's what made me continue with the book - these acts of hope. The other surrounding characters were amazing, interesting and tried their best to make the protagonist into a better person. I'll be picking up another one of her books in the future.

13. The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart (see review)

14. Happiness Sold Separately by Lolly Winston (HATED IT! I'm still scrubbing my eyeballs to get the words out of my sight. See review to see why.)

15. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (Corrected - sorry for the misspelling of his last- I was in a hurry!) (see review)

Thanks Katrina for hosting the challenge again. I love that so many are delving into books again. Head on over to Callipidder Days to see what so many others read this fall.

Labels: ,