Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Road Trip!

It's time for a little shout out to the Lord, so you know that it must be Gratituesday, where one can be vocally thankful for something in life.

On Sunday, The Girl, two friends and I took a road trip to the church camp for those who were in 3rd, 4th, 5th or 6th grade last year. Along the way there was much laughing, much singing, much talking and, as usual with that many girls, much confusion. From trying to understand each other to trying to find the camp, we were all trying to find a way to get to where we’re going.

In trying to cut across land so that I could enter the interstate, I took a map designated road that should have lead to an on-ramp. Did you notice the “should” in that last statement? But as we were driving, I noticed that we went right over the interstate with nary a place to turn onto it. Imagine a car full of girls who are now in a place that none of us had ever been. Yeah, it was one of those wonderful moments that inspire tv sitcoms to be made.

Never once did I think to pray about our being “lost”. All I could think of doing was to look over the map and saying, "There SHOULD HAVE BEEN AN ON-RAMP HERE!" while looking for alternatives.

The girls were no help at all either. They mostly thought of “We’re LOST! We’ll never make it to camp! Waaaah!” and “Maybe there WAS an on-ramp and they just removed them.” Or my favorites: “Do we need to turn around and go home and start over? We’ll never get a bottom bunk now…”

But lo and behold, who should call as I’m sitting in the car and studying the map about how to fix the situation? Mr. Right called about some piddly thing, whereas I gave the account as to why we’re sitting on the side of the road, not going to camp at the moment.

“Hold on a moment. Okay, I’m looking at Google Maps right now and you need to take a left at the T and turn left on East 4th Street.”

Me: But that’s in a neighborhood! There isn’t an on-ramp in the middle of a subdivision!”

MR: Sha, do you trust me? Just do it and you’ll see.

Me: Yeah, I trust you. I’m turning. I’m turning.

And then less than a minute later, we’re on the interstate.

So I’m thankful for a quick-thinking man who quickly became a hero to the four girls in the car and for Google Maps, which ultimately saved the day and made bottom bunks possible for each of the girls.

So.... Road trip anyone? I'm game if you are, but only if you have a GPS system (which you know means that we'll be taking your car, right?)

Labels: ,