Monday, February 06, 2006

Don't Worry, Be Happy

A couple of weeks back, Mr. Right lost his job through no irresponsibility on his part. It boiled down to the fact that the regional VP in this area just didn’t like Mr. Right. Perhaps after commending Mr. Right’s great character, superior work ethics and personal people skills, the RVP felt threatened by Mr. Right’s place in the company. Yep, Mr. Right got canned the day after the RVP said all those things to him during an evaluation. I’m telling you… The world is a strange place. But God is in it.

We have since discovered that Mr. Right’s immediate manager and the area manager went to bat for him, trying to talk the RVP out of his decision. But it was all for naught.

Because God has other plans.

It’s kind of like when God hardened Pharoah’s heart toward the Israelites ten times before letting Pharoah give permission of their departure. God’s power and glory were seen at that time. Perhaps that is the same purpose He has with us.

I’ve asked for prayers for peace through this transition.

Here is an example of God’s answer so far.

When a co-worker recently asked how things are going with Mr. Right, I had to stop and think about to what she was referring. After a few seconds of searching, I realized she meant the job search. Duh…

But that is the peace that God has given us. I don’t worry about it. I pray about it, but then I leave it on the throne where it belongs.

And God has given me many reminders of late about letting God have it.

One of my resolutions this year, made prior to Mr. Right losing his employment, was to strive to have a 3-demensional relationship with my Father. To look for ways that He is present, answering prayer and conversing with me. To allow a two-way connection to take place with Him, not just me asking for stuff as I’ve wrongly been in the habit of doing lately, but seeking His direction for me and sharing with God all my worries, sins and joys.

Perhaps I should have asked for this relationship without Mr. Right losing his job, but I didn’t think of it at the time. No matter – for God has a plan.

It’s amazing what you can find if you will only seek.

Over the past month, God has talked to me plenty over the same issue: The Lord will fight for you.

He has guided me to Exodus 14. This passage talks about the Israelites getting frantic because the entire Egyptian army was coming to annihilate them. God moved His angel and his pillar of cloud in between the army and the Israelites. (vs 13 & 14) Then Moses answered the people, “Do not be afraid. Stand firm and you will see the deliverance the Lord will bring you today. The Egyptians you see today you will never see again. The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still.”

And God was faithful to His word. They all were delivered to safety while every last one of the Egyptians died.

And in II Chronicles 20 when great armies were coming against Jehoshaphat and Judah, Jehoshaphat offered a prayer to God indicating that they were in no position to win the battle, but with God, they could prevail. (vs 12b) “For we have no power to face this vast army that is attacking us. We do not know what to do, but our eyes are on you.”

Then God answered them by saying He was with them, and His replies was this (a couple of times): (vs 15-17) “Do not be afraid or discouraged because of this vast army. For the battle is not yours, but God’s. Tomorrow march down against them… You will not have to fight this battle. Take up your positions; stand firm and see the deliverance the Lord will give you, O Judah and Jerusalem. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged. Go out to face them tomorrow and the Lord will be with you.”

And get this: Jehoshaphat and Judah did all that was asked, and on top of obeying, Jehoshaphat appointed men to sing to the Lord and to praise Him… on the way to the battle.

Their exact words of praise? “Give thanks for the Lord, for his love endures forever.”

And the Lord was faithful to His word. The Israelites never lifted a finger and the armies coming against them were destroyed.

In Matthew 6, I’ve read about Jesus instructing us not to worry. Point blank: Don’t worry. God knows what you need and He is faithful. Can’t get any clearer than that.

I know I'm dense at times. But even I am getting it.

When you think about that, it’s a powerful reason to not worry about anything. For if the Lord has promised me that He will protect me, then I really can’t help by fretting. What a relief that I don’t have that burden to carry…

So I am a songbird of late; I find myself singing praises to God. I’ve got a reason to have such a wonderful joy in my heart.

I’ve not a care in the world.

Labels: