Tuesday, February 07, 2006

I think I can...

Exercise Update: I’m still running. Not everyday, but pretty consistently. I’ve gone from a 15 minute mile to a 12. Not by any means outstanding, but at least I’m lessening the time rather than increasing it.

I can tell that I am not as young as I used to be.

My knees feel like they want to cry. My hips are angry at so much movement. My heart is going a mile a minute. And my lungs are threatening to collapse while going around the neighborhood.

And my mind is the worst complainer.

  • “What do you think you’re doing? You’re not 25 anymore!”
  • “Isn’t it too cold to go out there? Wouldn’t you rather stay in and cozy down to nice book?”
  • “You’re killing yourself out there!”
  • “All that work isn’t going to help you much.”
  • “If you run this late, you won’t sleep as well tonight.”
  • “Stay home and eat cookies!”

So far I have been able to resist the comments, especially the cookie one. I hope to continue doing so until this running thing becomes a habit.

Only 15 more times to go before that should happen. Hopefully by that time it will change from chore to personal challenge.

I think I can… I think I can… (chocolate chip cookies…) Stop that!