Thursday, March 16, 2006

Spring Break: Kidless and Fancy Free

All’s quiet on the home front. I mean it’s really, really quiet in the house. In the evenings especially. A little too quiet...

The kids have been at Grandma and Grandpa’s house since Sunday. It’s such a catch-22 for me. The grandparents take them and spoil them rotten, but I don’t have to pay for it… at least not in monetary form...

I don’t even want to think about all the stuff they are doing that will have to be undone after they come back home on Saturday. (No, you cannot have four bowls of sweet cereal for breakfast. No, chocolate is not one of your options for lunch. Non you can’t watch TV; go out and PLAY. Bedtime is at 8 PM… not whenever you want to go to bed. Yes, I know Grandma let you do that, but I don’t want you to jump off the roof onto the trampoline. Okay, I made that last one up, but it would probably be true if they had one. All the rest is absolutely true!)

So it is with sweet disillusions that Mr. Right and I are having a week of bliss, even if there is work inserted here and there – like from 8 to 5 every day. We’ve gone out to eat way too much, have had two coffee dates already, watched two movies with no interruptions, slept without being awakened by someone crawling into bed. We’ve had time to read, time to talk, time to… ummm… you know, ummm, okay we’ve had sex. And we liked it… a lot. There! I said it because you know you were thinking it anyway! There’s something about knowing there will be no knocks, no ruckuses or no questions about why the bedroom door is locked that makes this “favorite pastime” of ours quite… un-inhibiting and out and out fun. You remember, like when you were newlyweds…

Even though I have enjoyed every moment of this peace and freedom from daily duties (who wants to clean a house, do dishes or fold any laundry when there are good times to be had and only a week to do it?!), I do miss those little love bugs. With all the fun, food and sleep, I know that my heart has an empty spot where the kids are supposed to be.

I called just to hear their voices. I wanted to tell them that I love them and that I can’t wait to see them. When the phone was answered, I could hear them bickering in the background over who knows what. My daughter was mothering her brother; he was trying to be his own boss.

Instead, I asked if they could stay an extra week. I’m enjoying this peace and quiet more and more with each passing day.

Labels: