Tuesday, August 08, 2006

A Meme to Think for Me

In the absence of any original thoughts, I thought I would do this little meme that kpjara so kindly threw my way. It was more like a dodgeball aimed directly at my head, but hey, whatever works. (Luckily for me I have ninja-like reflexes and it only skimmed my flyaway hair. But being the honest person that I am, I totally copped to being hit.)

1. One book that changed your life: Aside from the Bible, there have been a couple of books that has revolutionized my way of thinking. The first one is His Needs, Her Needs by Willard Harley. This book has amazing insight on the needs of each spouse in the marriage and how, once the couple discovers the needs that matter most to each other, the marriage can flourish and become a pillar of strength and a safe haven for both people. Mr. Right and I have read it both twice (in 14 years) and we will continue to do so to keep our great marriage on track.

Recently I’ve read Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller and I love it’s openness and unabashed look at Christianity. Although I don’t agree with all of his thoughts (politically), I do agree with the true essence of the book, the core meaning that says basically “Love like Jesus”. You just can’t go wrong with a message like that. Plus there were times that I would have had coffee coming out of my nose had I been drinking it at the time. I finished it a couple of months ago and I'm still pensive about his thoughts. That makes it a good book to me.

2. One book that you've read more than once: Time Traveler’s Wife by Audrey Niffernegger is still my favorite book. Mr. Right gave me an autographed copy for my birthday, so I will probably read it every two or three years now. Yes, it’s that good. I’ve also re-read Odd Thomas, Lightning and Watchers by Dean Koontz. He’s such a witty writer who knows how to keep the book in your hand, anxiously reading to see what happened next. Grasshopper by Barbara Vine is a wonderful mystery with a bit of humor, suspence and romance thrown in for fun. And almost all the Jane Austen books have been worn to pieces with their re-perusals. I love her turns and her happy endings.

3. One book you'd want on a desert island: Too bad it wasn't a dessert island... that's the kind of island I would love to stranded on. Okay, not including my Bible, a survival book. Boy, would I need it.

4. One book that made you laugh: all of Janet Evanovich’s Stephanie Plum series. Seriously, I cannot not laugh out loud when reading them.

5. One book that made you cry: Oh, there are too many to chose from. But, consider the source here… I cry when reading I’ll Love You Forever and Guess How Much I Love You and Charlotte’s Web. I’m a woman who is not afraid to be in touch with her emotional side. (Mr. Right says that this is one of the things that really endears me to him – that I would cry over a fictional character in a book. He says it shows that I have a caring heart. I like that he thinks that.) I really empathize with many characters, so it is easy for me to hurt for them. Unequivocally, I would have to say Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers had me considering purchasing stock in Kleenex and so did Time Traveler’s Wife. Oh, and Year of Wonders too. But they are such good cries...

6. One book that you wish had been written: Hasn't everything under the sun been penned?

7. One book you wish had never been written: Davinci Code. My kids could write better drivel than what was in that piece of “literary” work. Blugh. What a waste of time. Fortunately for me, since it was such a childishly penned work, it didn’t take too much of my time to discover how beastly and dull it really was. Unfortunately for me, I feel that I should finish a book because sometimes they turn out well in the end. This one was one time I should have put it down and walked away.

8. One book you are currently reading: The Bible (I’m in Romans now), One Tuesday Morning, The Fourth Bear, Captivating, Last Man Standing and Danger in the Shadows.

9.One book you've been meaning to read: Searching for God Knows What, Jennifer Government, The March, Lonesome Dove, the entire list that kpjara sent me, and Herb’s First 100 Years which I cannot find anywhere in the KC library system. Hmph!

Now it’s my turn to throw the dodgeball. I’m tagging Chilihead, Shannon, Laura – aka org junkie, Big Mama, Antique Mommy, Mama C, Ken - aka the voice, Susan E who is a lurker who loves to read and Jeana. And I’m much nicer than kpjara… I’m aiming for your behinds.

Labels: , ,