Thursday, April 26, 2007

Admin Professional Day (or Make Shalee Happy Day)

Yesterday was Administrative Professional Day, a day where the bosses show a little love on us worker bees, a day where we can relish the limelight of many jobs well done, a day where we can look forward to presents. (Well, I do. You know it's one of my love languages. I can't help it if I'm a greedy pig! Well, I could, but sometimes I choose not to do so. Fair enough?)

So yesterday, I received a package in the mail, and it was filled with a beautiful spa package: soaps, bubble bath, sprays, bath slippers... oh the delights of delights! I was sniffing its goodness and smiling all afternoon. However, it wasn't from my boss. (How do I know this? Story on that to follow. See there? That's called suspense. I'm pulling out all the stops on this one.) And all that came with it was a computer generated note that said "Thank you."

And all my detective skills have failed because 1800proflower - neither via phone nor website - would not reveal the identity of the sender to me, even though I used my most compelling, persuasive voice. My mom tone didn't even work. I just gave up and figured I'd start calling the managers one by one to winkle it out of one of them. I'm starting with Nate because he's the one most likely to do it. He's that kind of guy, plus when I sent them all a reminder about not forgetting to thank their Admin Assistants on Wednesday for doing their work for them helping them with their tasks, he was the only one to respond back, "A wee bit self serving, aren't you?" To which I called him and said, "Well... yeah."

(Nate just called. I said, "I think it's you I need to thank for something." He played dumb for a moment, but then he said that he sent it. He continued that even if he hadn't sent it, he'd still have claimed to have done it to get the thanks and praise. And I told him that that is exactly why he makes a great manager. Yeah, we have a playful, fun relationship so I don't worry him taking that to heart... much. Oh, and thanks for the gift Nate. You rock!)

I received this brilliant card from my friend Barb, a much better Executive Assistant than I could ever hope to be. Really I hope to be just like her - because she's really pretty and fun and has a heart of gold. The card totally had me laughing our loud. Mainly because you know that I love these guys... And if, like me, you can't get enough of them, you can go to their blog too. Their blog! I know! Who would have thought that characters could have their own blog? Oh, this blogging world is getting better and better everyday... I wonder if I could get them to come to one of our blogger lunch meets. Now THAT would be awesome! Maybe I could get Jules to persuade them to come. She's got a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy who could talk them into it, I think.
And lastly, how did I know that my boss hadn't sent that basket? Because in the course of a very busy morning, he looked up at me and said, "Oh Shalee. I haven't forgotten. It's your big day, isn't it? Well, you see, I was going to get you something, really I was, but, you see, well.. okay, I totally started to think about the turkey hunt coming up (BIG hunter - if it moves, he'll look for a way to kill it -now you know why I sit at my desk all day) and then my son had T-ball practice and well, I didn't' do it, but this can work to your advantage see! It's okay if I send you to got get your own present, isn't it? I mean this way you can pick what you want, and I'll know that you're happy because all I was going to get you was the old standby Barnes and Noble card, and this will be much better, won't it?"
And, my bloggity friends, I totally loved his idea. Now... what to get, what to get... What do you suggest for me to buy for myself ? (within reason of course... I'd really like to have this job next APD too.)

Labels: ,