Saturday, December 01, 2007

How Good Is It? I’m Posting On A Saturday If That Tells You Anything.

The Girl has been listening to Christmas since before Thanksgiving. I don’t know about you, but there’s only so much Christmas music a girl can take, especially I Want A Hippopotamus For Christmas, Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer, Silver Bells, and Baby, It’s Cold Outside

Don’t get me wrong!  I like these songs, and I sing along with them for a while. But one of the things that bothers me greatly about the 24/7 Christmas music is that most of it doesn’t have much to do with the reason for the celebration in the first place. It’s all about Santa, snow, romance, animals… Where are the songs that sing about the greatest gift of all – Christ? The stations will throw one or two in occasionally – What Child Is This? or O Holy Night, but not enough to make me want to listen to them all the time.

So when I was blessed enough to receive one of the new Michael W. Smith Christmas CD, It’s A Wonderful Christmas, I threw it in the CD player when The Girl and The Boy were in the same room and behaving rather nicely to each other (a sure sign that Christmas is coming soon), and oh my lands  -  it’s fantastic! It’s simply a lovely, gorgeous natural mood enhancer around the Christmas season – perfect for decorating a tree, relaxing for moment with your favorite Christmas drink and for reflecting on Christ in Christmas.

The music is beautiful and inspiring, and as usual, Mr. Smith incorporated the voices of children in some of the songs. My kids take notice and appreciate it when they hear a performer who understands and delights in the special qualities of young voices. The songs have such great qualities of sounds to them; they are meant to be heard by many. And the songs don’t cram Jesus down anyone’s throat, but they’re not afraid to mention his name.

My favorite one? That song would have to be the duet he sings with Mandisa, Christmas Day. I think their voices blend eloquently, producing a stunning sound.

So what I’m trying to tell you is that this CD,It’s A Wonderful Christmas, would make a perfect addition to any Christmas CD collection. Maybe while you’re out picking up gifts for your family, you’ll consider getting this CD for yourself. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed at all.

Labels: , ,