Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Day One

Well, it seems that my mind wanted to take a break, even if I hadn't planned one. I just couldn't get myself to blog this time. 

We've been very busy since we returned home last Saturday.  Oh and by the way, no kids were harmed in the making of the trip home.  They actually were really nice to each other as we traveled.  Whew.  

After unloading all the Christmas loot and putting everything away, shopping for food since we had no staples after being gone for a week, planning for a New Year's Eve party at our house with some friends and then shopping for it, cleaning (because - good night!  People are coming over to my house and I need to clean every bathroom in the house!), making a batch of these delicious cinnamon rolls for the company on New Year's morning and making the meal for the night, I just didn't have much time or energy to do much else.  I've decided that I need a vacation to recover from my vacation.  But everything has been worth all the effort.

New Year's Eve was a blast.  We had our traditional party which is with our friends the Brocks and other families who rotate in and out each year.  We have a theme that works for us all: the boys play games all night and the girls watch chick flicks and drink frou frou drinks that I create.  It's a win-win for us all.  

FYI: My new creation this year was a shaken mix of melon liquor with pineapple juice and crushed ice, drain into a martini glass and drizzle Razzmatazz around the edges of the glass.  Yum!  

While the guys played Monopoly, we girls watched Hairspray (fabulous the second time around) and then Music and Lyrics, which really surprised me.  I really liked it despite my preconceived notions about it.  For some reason I decided beforehand that it was a crummy movie, but it was really funny and had some hilarious lines.  Hugh Grant played his part perfectly, signature hip moves and all. (At one point in the movie Grant said that his dance was used to attract women.  Mr. Right, who was in the kitchen getting coffee, ran in and said, "Oh yeah?  Here's my dance that I use to attract women."  Then he proceeded to dance the most linguini-like white man's dance you ever could see.  After recovering from my laughing fit, I ran into the other room to give him kisses.  Hey, his moves work on me.  What can I say?)

Today has been full of eating good food, talking with friends, football and a good nap.  I'd have to say it's been a great day over all. 

Happy 2008 to you all!  May you see all the ways that God blesses you in this coming year.

Labels: , ,