Tuesday, January 22, 2008

A Wise Man Once Said...

I've been working my way through Proverbs at a slow pace lately.  I want to really let the wisdom of the words sink into my heart before charging on to Ecclesiastes.  Here are few things I've gleaned by taking my time:
  • I've always thought it admirable that Solomon asked for wisdom when God opened the entire world up to him from his bag of goodies.  He didn't ask for riches, fame or power.  He asked for wisdom.  I have to be honest; I'd have asked for either money or a sense of style.  They're both pretty close...  But when I read through chapter 4, it dawned on me why Solomon asked for wisdom.  His father, David, had told him these words when Solomon was a young boy: "Wisdom is supreme; therefore get wisdom. Though it cost all you have, get understanding." (7)  No wonder he chose wisdom.  His dad already told him that it's the best, most important thing to have.  Which just makes me wonder: what am I telling my kids is important in life?  
  • Solomon has several verses that discuss the importance of not bringing disgrace upon one's father and tears to a mother's eyes.  See, even back then guilt was a mighty big motivator!
  • I used to have this verse on my college dorm room door: Prov 27:14 - If a man loudly blesses his neighbor early in the morning, it will be taken as a curse.  Take that, you morning people.  Oh wait... that verse was totally talking to me.  I'm such a morning person.  I just think it's funny because I'm juvenile like that.
  • Because of the verse that says "A wife of noble character who can find? She is worth far more than rubies." (31:10), Mr. Right originally designed my wedding rings to hold rubies.  But after he looked at it, he didn't like it.  He chose emeralds instead.  I sometimes teased him that he found the wife with "a little less than noble character".  He hasn't laughed at that joke once yet...
  • Should I be worried that more of the "a foolish man" verses apply to me rather than the "a wise man" verses do?  Gulp.  I've so much still to learn...  

Labels: ,