Monday, January 14, 2008

Interwebs: The DSL Has Landed… In A Brain Cloud

We finally are connected to the web, all legal like and all. Of course the first thing we did was to make sure that no one can piggyback on us… because we’re giving like that.

And in honor of finally having internet all to ourselves, what did we do? We ignored it all weekend. Because it was so absolutely important to us to have it. Yeah, we’re really messed up around here, but hey! At least I’m in good company.

I’m suffering through the worst case of an elephant sitting on my sinuses; I’m just going to give you a quick rundown of the weekend and then crawl back under the coverage of my Benadryl-induced brain cloud. I just hope that I have enough of a break of clear-headedness to make it readable.
  • The Girl spent the night at a friend’s house.
  • Since The Boy earned all 2’s and 3’s on his report card (our school system works on levels of proficiencies rather than letter grades) in subject matter and behavior (this is a biggie because he had lots of 1’s – needs to improve in the social/classroom behavior area), I offered to take him out to eat as a reward for this excellent improvement. He requested to watch a couple of Ben 10 episodes rather than eat at Chik-fil-A. I don’t know whose child he is. I totally wanted Chik-fil-A, but I figure giving him a reward he wanted would have been a better option. So I let him watch the show and made Barb’s French Onion Soup instead. By the way, YUM! (But I’ll take the time to slice real onions next time, Barb.)
  • Mr. Right and I watched The Thin Man, a favorite of ours. If you’ve not watched this classic movie or better yet, the entire collection, then I highly recommend it to you, but only if you love great bantering, a good mystery and character who will make you laugh out loud. If these qualities don’t appeal to you, then I have some Benadryl that you can take to go along with your sense of humor. Hey, everything seems better when you can’t think straight.
  • After going to bed at 11 PM, I awoke wide awake to the bright, cheery time of 2 AM, which if I think about it is neither bright nor cheery. It was rather depressing actually. But, at least I found some much needed read time. Because you all know that I NEVER have a chance to read. I could have done some much needed house work, but who wants to work on the house when you can sit on the couch and read until your child gets up at 8 AM to ask for some breakfast. (Oh I kid. I did the dishes and started the dryer to de-wrinkle the clothes, only to forget about them again. I’m such a great housekeeper.  Plus, I prayed for Kelli who suffers with this nonsense every stinkin' day.)
  • We piled in the car to get donuts only to find that our favorite donut shop closed down. If I wasn’t emotional before, I was now. What is this world coming too when you can’t get quality fried dough covered with chocolately sugar or the world’s finest specimen of apple fritters? This was turning out to be the worst day of my life and it was only 8:30 in the morning…
  • By 10:30 AM, I was a grump barely on two feet, so I did something I never get a chance to do: I unplugged every phone in the house, told The Boy that to watch Ben 10 (again) and that if he wakes me up for anything other than death, he would soon experience it. Slept for a hard, solid 1 ½ hours and became a human being again. Whew – from everyone in the house.
  • After running to the stores, I did a mighty fine impression of a couch potato as I watched the Packers wail on the Seahawks.
  • We had our friends who are on furlough from their mission work in Africa come over for dinner that night. We’ve missed them so much! It was great to sit and talk, play games (Swap and Clue – the girls totally rule at that game!) and just enjoy being around them again. It was as if 2 years had not even passed. The funniest part that we noticed separately was that Emily and I sat and enjoyed the football game while Mr. Right and Jason sat in the kitchen talking about recipes and cooking. We’re so backwards, but it totally works with us.
  • Sunday brought church and more football. I loved the preaching that Jason did for our congregation that morning – very open and God-led. The football? Not so good. My poor Colts are out of the playoffs. Sigh. I’ll still watch, even if it means that it may be the unbeaten Pats against one of the remaining teams. (By the way, I made a decision to quit dogging the Pats. It was a grudge that had settled in my heart that needed to be kicked out. I know it’s football and that in the whole scheme of things it’s unimportant, but when I found myself nursing it for all it was worth, I realized that I wasn’t letting God have all of my heart. So I officially declare that I am making a great effort in refraining from insulting the cheaterhead Patriots… oh man, do I have a lot of work to do. Y’all might want to offer a prayer or 20 on my behalf about this matter…
  • To honor The Girl for her getting on Honor Roll (she had to ask what Honor Roll meant), we took her out for sundaes from B&R, by way of Chilihead. Thanks Melanie for the coupon! We were all happy with our Sunday afternoon treats.
  • I found myself in bed at the unheard of hour of 8:15 PM. I couldn’t keep my eyes open or my head straight with the battle that was being fought in my head. Sinus pressure, groggy, blow, sinus pressure, groggy, blow… ugh.
So now I’m sitting at my desk, trying to get my fingers to type and my head to wrap around some work that I’m supposed to be doing.

Check please, from the table of pity party for one.

Labels: , ,