Thursday, December 14, 2006

Happy Birthday to the boy

You know that I've not been on the mark exactly for this sweet boy's birthdays, but last weekend, I think I finally got it right. Whew. (John, that was not a self-degrating remark. Do NOT threaten Da Vinci Code again! At least, not if you want that dinner that we owe you.)


While we were waiting for the guests to arrive, all the early arrivers were jettisoned downstairs to play. Legos became the highlight. Can I just tell you how much I love them?



Mr. Right captured this last moment of peace prior to the sugar rush. Isn't that just the loveliest shot of the back of my head? My best side you know...



Look at all those great ships they built. (Hey don't knock it; they spent half an hour down there playing peacefully.)



Here's the silly picture that had to be taken...



We couldn't hold them off forever. Here is the boy and his Ben Ten cake. (Homemade because I could not find a topper anywhere. But made with love.) Kudos to Chili for help with this photo. Yes, I do know the boy's name. I just don't want weirdos knowing it too... Chili excepted, of course.



Cake and ice cream all around. (And I mean all around: around the table, around the floor, around their mouths.)



Here's a tip: If you want to say "Not near the tree!" a hundred or so times, just give nine little kids balloons and watch them as it turns into a balloon-bopping war. Hey, I'm nothing if not a wealth of knowledge.



Oh yeah. Presents - which everyone wanted to open. And play. Right then.



My favorite part was when all the kids are trying to read the cards and each others' writing. "Mom, what does this say?"



Well the party started with Legos. It makes sense that it should end with them too. Each kid was in a different part of the house playing with all the toys and games.

Although it was a lot of work and a lot of fun (when the phone rang, I answered it "Chaos Central"), I'll be glad to do it again. In a year. And a half. With a bottle of wine hidden for the after party.

Labels: