WFMW - Dinosaur Eyeballs
This recipe gets its name from my son. He took one look at them and then said, "We're going to eat dinosaur eyeballs? Cool!"
And the name has stuck ever since.
4 large eggs
4 large slices or 8 small slices Canadian bacon
1/3 green bell pepper, diced
1/3 red bell pepper, diced
1/3 onion, minced
1 tablespoon canola oil
salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat, and saute onions to soften before adding in peppers. Cook, stirring often, until slightly softened but colors are still bright. Remove from heat.
- Lightly grease/spray 4 cups of a muffin tin and insert one large slice or two small slices of Canadian bacon into each cup.
- Divide bell pepper mixture among the 4 cups and carefully crack one egg into each bacon cup on top of the peppers. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake in center rack of oven for about 15-20 minutes, or until whites are set but yolks are still slightly runny (We actually bake longer until the yolks are hard too.)
- Broil for a few minutes, just enough to brown the tops a smidgen and creating a bit of crispiness to the egg cups.
- Carefully remove by gently scooping out bacon cups. Serve hot.
This recipe will serve two adults so you can adjust it as needed to fit your needs. And although it sounds a bit odd, trust me that it's good. And I've got the kids' smiles and full tummies to prove it...Head on over to Shannon's for some additional ideas to make your life a bit easier.