Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Joyful Days... With Coffee

Last night I finally had the opportunity to meet with Joyful Days.  I say that it's about time because it's only taken us three months to cover the 20 miles that separate us.  We're all about making things happen quickly is all I can say.

We met on common ground, mutual ground, well-loved ground.  Knowing that we both have a love for reading, we decided to meet at the largest book conglomerate that happens to have killer coffee.  I told her that it was probably for the best because if I proved to be the total dweeb that I really am, then I'd always have books to fall back on for great topics of discussions...

I met her and you know what?  She's really nice and friendly and and not at all an ax murderer.  (Although she is really pushy.  When we were looking for some comfy chairs to sit in, I had to hold her back from kicking some poor, unsuspecting patron out of a chair.  It was hard, but like the sacrificial ram caught in a bush, God provided a couple of chairs just for our sitting pleasure in the nick of time.  Whew.  Can you believe that she would be so demanding or self-serving?  Ummm, I didn't think so...)

We talked about this and that and the other for two and a half hours straight.  Nothing was taboo and, to be honest, it felt as if I was talking with an old friend rather than someone that I officially met that night.  She was open, real, humorous and delightful all at the same time.

And as an added bonus, we both decided to get a bit of present shopping done since we were sans enfants.  Back in the children's area, we talked a good bit about books that we recommended, books that we disliked, books that we felt were perfect for perspective reading levels.  It was utterly refreshing to have another parent at hand who understood the need for great books with kids.

All in all, it was a perfect time out with a friend.  I'm just hoping that it won't take us an additional three months to make it happen again... 

Labels: