Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Let Him Eat Cake

Last night, I finally had a chance to meet with Jules again. It's been about 9 months since we've really chatted. I joked that I could have had a baby since we'd last met.

Actually, I don't think it was all that funny, now that I think about it.

Anyway, Jules invited her good friend Billie to dine with us because "if Billie finds out that we went to the Cheesecake Factory and she didn't get to come, I'm gonna get it!" I'm so glad that Billie has such a sweet tooth. She was lovely and funny and immediately likable. We all chatted about blogging, books, movies, families, trips, faith and life in general. It was an unbelievably relaxing time that had truly fabulous food and even more wonderful coffee and desserts.

Jules ordered a German Chocolate Cheesecake. I ordered Linda's Chocolate Cake and Billie ordered... nothing. That's right. She didn't eat dessert at the Cheesecake Factory because she's going on a cruise at the end of the week and she was saving up "being bad" til then. Silly girl. You're supposed to prepare for those weeks by being bad right before the trip!

I called Mr. Right on the way home and suggested that he might want some coffee ready for when I arrived. Just coffee for him. I was completely full of coffee and good food.

He was extremely delighted with the leftover. He took it and his coffee upstairs with me where we relaxed by working in some puzzle books: he did Sudoku and I did some in a variety puzzle magazine. It was nice.

When he was ready for bed, he set the cake (which was still in the leftover container) on the dresser and said, "I wonder if ants will find it." I suggested that he take it downstairs and put it away properly. (For some reason, cake with ants in it isn't quite as appealing.)

This morning as he was running out the door, he asked if I minded that he took my other leftovers. I replied, "Of course I don't mind. Just don't take the rest of the cake!"

Mr. R: What cake?

Me: The cake from last night.

Mr. R: There isn't any cake from last night.

Me: YOU ATE IT ALL?!!!

Mr. R: No. There was about a fourth left and I threw it away.

Almost 16 years of marriage and the boy hasn't learned completely the way I tick yet. I bet you would have known to save that cake, even if it was only a sliver.

Sigh. I didn't need it. But I would have liked to have it around anyway. Just in case.

Labels: