Friday, March 03, 2006

Did I draw Della too tall, Edward? I did?

I like palindromes.

What’s that, you ask? Okay, you didn't really, but if you are reading my blog you are stuck with my subjects, so you might as well ask. You know I'm going to tell you anyway.

(Clear throat) A palindrome is a word or phrase or a sentence that reads the same forwards and backwards. I first noticed these in grade school. Sure there were the simple words:

Mom
Dad
Pop
Noon
Did
Nun
Deed
Bob
Peep
Eye

But one day when I was studying for my spelling test, I remember coming upon the word “level”. Wow. Five letters … Cool! I felt so brilliant, as if I was discovering something new, going were no child had gone before… uncharted territory in the land of words. Could there be more? Along the way I’ve discovered many additional words that I’ve kept squirreled away in me ‘ead (along with lots and lots of other useless trivial stuff!)

Madam
Kayak
Radar
Solos
Racecar
Rotator
Repaper
Hannah

That’s when I kept a look out for phrases. I’ve discovered a few along the way.

A Toyota
A man, a plan, a canal: Panama!
Borrow or rob?
Gateman sees name. Garage man sees name tag.
Derek, I like red!
Gert, I saw Ron avoid a radio-van - or was it Reg?
Lisa Bonet ate no basil.
Panic in a Titanic, I nap.
Stella won no wallets.
Was it a cat I saw?

Weird, I know. But it comes in mighty handy to have these, especially at a very dull party. Not that I’ve actually uttered them. But it would be neat to slip one out someday and test the waters.

You would think with this kind of romance with letters, I would be good at Scrabble. But in all actuality, I suck at it. That’s why I avoid it at all cost.

I’m better at cards… Spades anyone?

Labels: