Friday, February 17, 2006

Do You Believe in Miracles?

Today marks the day that Mr. Right proposed to me – 14 years ago.

Now I know that it may not be a big deal to you. Some of you are thinking, “So what? That’s not the day that matters. It’s the day that he did marry you that counts.”

Here, dear reader, is where I must disagree with you.

For you see, this very day is that day that I discovered that there is such a thing as miracles.

Some look for the face of Mary, mother of God, in puddles; others look for the lost Ark. Me? I look for the impossible.

I did not think it possible to find a man who was gutsy enough to want to bind himself to me for all eternity, to boldly brave daily life with me – including the ideas and odd thoughts that would surely follow if he chose to marry me, to link himself to someone so self-centered, stubborn and outgoing, to yoke himself to a woman who still had so much to learn in the area of love, to want to bear children with me and hope against hope that they would be like his side of the union.

I needed a man with nerves of steel, a heart full of unconditional love, a spirit of unending forgiveness, a strong stomach, patience as large as the ocean, and the greatest sense of humor this side of heaven. Oh, and he had to be a great kisser, too.

There is a saying that I love: “When you pray for potatoes, have a hoe in your hand.”

God created and gave me exactly what I requested… and then some!

Not only did I get the man that I detailed above, he turned out to be incredibly handsome – on the inside and the out. His heart is as pure as gold; his faith in God is unwavering. He also is a great helpmate – with creating a better me and with keeping the house. Did you know there are men out there who will do the dishes and the laundry – without your asking? Amazing! And he loves to cook with me, whether it means dinner or dessert. Let me tell you, we make a mean pie duo.

He is completely romantic, too! He loves finding ways to make me smile, be it flowers just because, a secretly planned birthday surprise or bringing me coffee when he wakes me in the morning. He’s got the kissing part down to a T and the other stuff is out of this world! (Wink, Wink, Nudge, Nudge. Say no more. Say no more.) I am one blessed and happy woman.

Mr. Right should win a Father of the Year award because he loves being with the family. He plays with each of the kids, mentors how to be a great companion, shows displays of affection not only to me, but to each of them. He loves them unconditionally and disciplines them as needed.

He has his faults; don’t read that he is perfect, for he is not. Oh, boy is he not! For example, he has a habit of telling untruths. Like the time he told me that I was the most beautiful creation that God ever made. Or when he stated that there could be no better mate for him. He’s just a flat out liar at times. And there are times when he doesn't do what I’ve requested. One anniversary we agreed to not do expensive gifts. I held to my end and got him a nice shirt, on sale even. What did he get me? Diamond earrings! Don’t even get me started on his lack of standing up for what he wants. He is often letting someone else have their way. Sheesh… the nerve of some people. But I choose to overlook these faults and bear with him as I am sure he does with me on a daily basis.

Mr. Right is a man of his word. And this, my friend, is where February 17th comes in play as a very important day. He gave me his word to marry me. Once he did that, I knew I had him. For it meant that he wouldn’t leave me standing at the altar. He would go through with it for no other reason than he promised to do so. He says he went through with it because he could not be with anyone else and that he loves me more than life itself, but you know now that he is a blatant liar. Judge for yourself.

Hey, whatever the reason works for me. I figure I get the better end of the deal no matter how you look at it. I got the miracle.

Labels: