Friday, April 28, 2006

Ready or Not, Here I Come

It seems that there have been a few who are wondering why I’m going to California. If you will refer to this post, then you’ll have the low down. If you don’t go look at it, just know that it is a gift from God, one that I’m more than happy to be the recipient!

I am getting SO EXCITED! I’ve talked to the ladies I am going to meet for the first time and we are all like kids waiting for Christmas. Saturday cannot get here soon enough! We already have a wonderful dinner planned for that night, and I’m thrilled to be going to church with one of them on Sunday. I’ve no idea what church she attends, but I have a feeling I will feel comfortable and right at home.

Since these ladies work at my company’s home office, I get to see the real deal and to meet some others with whom I occasionally get to chat. I hear the campus is beautiful, so I see this as a real treat. Plus, I get to watch my friends in action on Monday and maybe learn a few things along the way.

The choir program is on Tuesday. Have I looked at the music? Ummm, yes. Am I prepared for it? Ummm, no. But in my defense, the director sent me about 20 songs. There is no way I could have them memorized or practiced well enough to be completely ready for the three programs. (I only got the last set of songs this morning.) It’s a good thing that I know how to use “watermelon” at appropriate times. (All the singers out there are probably smiling and nodding their heads.) I have faith that God will get me through it, especially as it will all be for His glory! (But I wouldn’t mind the prayers for it anyway…)

Okay, I did a lot of the stuff I had to do for preparing for the trip to Los Angeles. I was able to check off most of the TT to-do list. I’ve packed way too much, of course. I’m one of those “just-in-case” people. Knowing myself as well as I do, I want to have a couple of extra outfits for when I spill my drink on me or when I split a seam. (Think Gibee here.) I’ll go through tonight and wheedle a few things out. But for the most part, I think I’m done. (I didn't do the ziplock deal Shannon. I figured since it was just me, I could get myself dressed in the morning.) Except I forgot the camera… I’ve got to get that in my carry-on bag!

And except for the books… I went to Barnes & Noble with my handy-dandy gift card that I got for being a good assistant and a small list of recommendations from my wonderful blog friends. And they didn’t have one of them! (Sorry Susanne. I told you yesterday I would buy your recs, but it is out of my hands.) That’s what I get for leaving it to the last minute. It’s a good thing I had some books that I’ve been wanting to read. I’ll start with those and find a B&N in that area to peruse. So you still have time for those recommendations…

I think I have found a solution for my “lack of laptop for the express purpose of blogging” dilemma. I’m pretty sure I can get to a computer on Monday, but it’s the other days that make me wonder. But I forgot that I have Audio Blogger set up, so I may be experimenting with it next week. If I can figure it out, I will be calling in my blog comments for you to hear. If not, then it will be a bunch of garbled gobbledy-gook. So if you have any advice on using this program, I’m all ears.

Thank you for all the encouragement and enthusiasm for my trip. I can’t wait to share it with you, too.

Last note: Mr. Right held me last night and told me how much he is going to miss me. Not the dinner-maker, clothes-washer, bathroom-cleaner, caretaker part of me, but the person who is Shalee, who laughs at life and herself, who cries during movies (but not this week!), who kisses the sadness away. I cannot truly express to you how beautiful and loved that made me feel. Then he told me that he was happy that I had this opportunity and to enjoy it, but to remember that people who love her will be waiting for me to come home.

And that is the reason he is Mr. Right to me. As much as I am excited about going, I now cannot wait to come back.

Oh and the 5 lbs in 2 days trick? I took off the guilt of going without the family. It has made a world of difference and has lightened my load. Even if I can’t lose that fiver overnight, I feel great, and that is all that matters.

Labels: