Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Memorial Day 2007

The day started off beautifully. We slept until 8 AM (a rare occasion!), had sausage gravy and biscuits with great coffee and the family was all in a great mood. Can't get much better than that...

We decided to run to the store because the girl received a $30 gift certificate to Walmart from a friend for her birthday. Oh, and we were having company and I had nothing to make the lunch. There was that too.

We hit the clothes section because the girl discovered that she has no shorts or dresses that fit her now. She just keeps growing, and she is delighted that she's only a couple of inches shorter than me. So believe it or not, we walked out with 3 shorts, 1 skirt and 2 new shirts. I do believe my girl was in tweener heaven. New clothes and they weren't hand-me-downs. Bonus.

I, on the other hand, walked out spending money on fun things like potatoes, eggs, milk, mustard... But it was well worth it for the potato salad I was going to fix up, let me tell you. Mmmm mmmm.

We hurried home since our friends were going to show up in half an hour. I find it best to actually, you know, be at home when you invite others to your house. It just seems like the right thing to do...

When we got home, Mr. Right remembered that these are actually beer-drinking friends, so he headed out to get it, and some Smirnoff Raspberry for me, since I'm not the beer-guzzling kind. Oh, and corn on the cob and half and half since we forgot those too. Yes, it would have been easier to make a list, but I like to live on the wild side of life.

Our friends arrived, and we had a blast with them. Mr. Right even got to use his grill. He cooked up a fine batch of hamburgers and brats. And I do believe he avoided burning them, always a good thing.

The weather, which has been rainy of late, decided to take a break from its down-pouring, so we actually were able to enjoy the back deck. We ate outside, and the kids were thrilled to jump on the trampoline. I was really happy about the easy cleanup, since we're still trying to sell the house and all.

We played hearts, whereby Mr. Right proceeded to tar and feather us. I'd say he cheated, but I was keeping score. My only consolation is that we actually had to stop the game early due to our friends needing to leave so that their kids could take naps, so he didn't win to the end... Next time, Mr. Right - next time you're going down!

After the fun, we decided that we should give the house a quick once over so that if anyone decided to look at the house, they would actually see the house and not all the crumbs on the floor or dust on the furniture. (For those who are wondering, we've not had a lot of lookers in the past three weeks; we chalk it up to a flood of houses entering the market and really rainy weather. We're not worried at all about it though. We know that God will sell it in his own time, so we're just going to wait on him. We'd be delighted if you would continue to pray for us to hold to this wonderful peace, though. Thanks!)

Anyway, Mr. Right pulled out our vacuum cleaner and started to vacuum our bedroom, only to smell the stench of rubber burning. Arrg! We just fixed this piece of crud vacuum cleaner... again! And really when you're selling a house, nothing says "Welcome to your new home" like burning rubber.

What to do... We had to clean the carpets, but should we try to fix it again? Would any store be open with the right belts? Plus it was almost 5 PM, so if it were open for Memorial Day, would they be open when we could get there?

So we did what any normal couple who where trying not to curse the vacuum to the depths of Hades would do. We grabbed our Bed, Bath and Beyond 20% off coupon and went and bought this:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


I only had a slight heart attack. It's a good thing that puppy was 20% off because for the love of all that is frugal in me, I had to talk myself into this purchase. Gah! I could by a small country for the price of that cleaning machine. Well, not a small country, but I could certainly go visit the country and bring home some souvenirs on the same amount. I'm just thankful to the Lord Almighty that we had the money to buy it outright.

However, the good thing about this purchase was that 4 totally separate individuals stopped to tell us that this Dyson is the best vacuum cleaner on earth. They each went on and on about how they would never go back to any other cleaner after owning a Dyson. One man went so far as to say it's a manly man's cleaner, causing Mr. Right to smile. I like having total strangers give two thumbs up to our cleaning purchase.

Oh. My. Lands... Mr. Right has a new love, baby. Has a new love... Yea yea yea yeah.

(The compromise in our house is that I'll clean the bathrooms if Mr. Right will vacuum. It makes us both very happy people. However, I would rather have the compromise be that he does it all, but I've not been able to talk him into that one for some reason...)

After vacuuming our carpet upstairs, we were shocked to find that we actually have beige carpet... BEIGE, I TELL YOU! And here we thought we had a sort of neutral dirty brown... which we did, in a way. And I can't tell you how much cat hair we removed from our floor. Seriously, I can't tell you. It was kind of disgusting in a I-can't-help-but-look-and-marvel-over the-fact-that-we-had-enough-hair-to-make-a-small-rug sort of way.

He couldn't wait to vacuum the first level! It didn't matter that the kids were trying to sleep or that I wanted to sit and to enjoy time with him. Noooooo. He was off to vacuuming everything!

When he finally came to bed, he said with a smile on his face, "I'm going to be dreaming of using that wonderful vacuum cleaner again and again."

It's a good thing that machine doesn't have any eyes. I'm pretty sure I'd scratch them out when he wasn't looking...