Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Jesus - The Original Joe Cool

GiBee at Kisses of Sunshine seems to think that I am the world's biggest procrastinator. When she tagged me for the Five Things I Dig About Jesus meme, she totally singled me out like this:

"Shalee (don't put this one off, girl!!!)"

And to further emphasize her point, she sent me a personal email that included the following: "SHALEE -- DO NOT PUT THIS ONE OFF!!!"

The caps did it. I totally didn't think she meant it until she "yelled" at me. Plus the fact that I think God is using her to get my attention about focusing on him...

So in order to satisfy GiBee (and God), I'm doing the meme.

Here are the "rules":



  • Those tagged will share 5 things they "love" (dig) about Jesus.

  • Those tagged will tag 5 other bloggers.

  • Those tagged will provide a link in the comments section here with their names so that others can read them.


Here are 5 things I love (dig) about Jesus:

  1. Jesus wants a huge extended family. He gave his life so willingly for the idea and the opportunity for us to be permanently connected to the one and only living God, the Creator, the Great I AM, all so that we can call him our brother.
  2. Jesus' sacrifice is everlasting and the grace of forgiveness cannot be altered. I love knowing that though I still sin, there is nothing I can do which can separate me from the love of God.
    Romans 8:31-39
    What, then, shall we say in response to this? If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all--how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things? Who will bring any charge against those whom God has chosen? It is God who justifies. Who is he that condemns? Christ Jesus, who died--more than that, who was raised to life--is at the right hand of God and is also interceding for us. Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? As it is written: "For your sake we face death all day long; we are considered as sheep to be slaughtered." No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
  3. When Jesus walked the earth in human form, he had no prejudices to prevent him from befriending/loving/touching/healing anyone. He made himself available to everyone no matter the race, sex, "cleanliness", education or financial status. He just saw people needing God. This point gives me hope that if I am to become more Christ-like, then I too can become un-prejudiced and see people as individuals needing love.
  4. Jesus knew that in order to touch people's souls, he had to touch their lives. Think about all the physical needs that Jesus met in order to talk with people: He fed them, he healed them, he ate with them, he talked with them in a crowd and in a one-on-one setting. He basically made himself available to everyone. In satisfying their physical needs, he created opportunities where others could listen to the needs of their souls. I still say that this example is such a beautiful ministry in how to show God's love to others and open the hearts of others to hear the Good News. (But he had to be there and present in order to make those teachable moments happen, which means that I have to be present and available too.)
  5. The more I read the gospels, the more I am convinced that Jesus had a mighty good sense of humor and irony. How else can you explain why he hung out with the Twelve Stooges?
  • I could imagine the old eye pokes that James and John give each other as they approach Jesus about whether or not they can sit on the right and left side of his glory. (Mark 10:37)
  • I can see Peter doing a nice repetitive two-handed fast face pull on himself when after hearing God's voice telling him to LISTEN to Jesus after Peter recommends that three alters be built for Elijah, Moses and Jesus after the transfiguration. (Matt 17:5)
  • I can imagine all the "Wise Guy, eh!" comments after the disciples disputed over which of them was considered the greatest. (Luke 22:27) I can visualize the head slaps that Peter gives himself when the cock crowed the third time. (John 18:27)
  • I can see Judas' "run into the wall" moment when he realized that in his greed, he condemned Jesus to death over a paltry amount of money. (Matt 27:3-5)
  • I can only imagine the eye-rolling and head shaking Jesus did when he explained to them time (Matt 16:21) and time (Matt 17:22-23) and time (Matt 20:17-19) and time (Matt 26:36-46) again that he was the Saviour. (There are many other records of their not understanding; those are but a few.) That man HAD to have had a sense of humor is all I can say... (And a heart of unending compassion and patience which fills me with hope that even I can be forgiven and fully loved though time and time I again I don't understand his words or heed his call.)

Labels: ,