Wednesday, January 30, 2008

WFMW - Just Let Go

Yesterday in the office, I was chatting with one of my coworkers.  (Basically, we were avoiding work at all cost, but we were socializing at the same time.  You'd totally want me working for you, wouldn't you?)  

Anyway, as we were talking, our landlord (who is a teddy bear of a guy and has been doing a lot of work throughout the building) opened the door with a fellow workman and had a hangdog look on his face.  I said, "Gaylord, I haven't talked with you in a while.  How are you?"  

"Oh.  You won't like what I have to say," he said.

"Are you turning off the hot water again?" I teased.

"No," he sighed.

"Are you turning off the power?" I asked, thinking it was awfully cold for him to do so, but hey, it gave me a legitimate reason to go home early!  (It was cold something fierce with the wind blowing and snow swirling.  I could really use a to day to read take a nap watch a movie to work at home.)

"No," he sighed again.

Then it hit me.  "Gaylord, did you hit my car?!"  I inquired.

"Yes, and I feel just so terribly about it.  Come and see it."

The driver's side had a scratched across four of the panels and the mirror was hanging on by a single wire.  He gave me a hug and said, "I'll admit to 100% fault here.  I just feel so badly.  I was trying to back into a parking space to fill the truck and while looking at the curb, I hit your car.  I'm just so sorry."

I turned to him and said, "Gaylord, I've got insurance.  I'm not going to worry about it.  It's okay."

He gave me his insurance card, stating that his insurance would pay for it all.  I ran in to make a copy of it.  When I came back out, Gaylord said, "Shalee, I just feel so awful about this. I can't tell you enough."

Sweetly I said, "Gaylord, you feel badly about it if you need to, but then you knock it off.  It's just a car.  Things can be replaced.  No one's hurt and that's all that matters.  It's really okay."

Seeing the look of disbelief and relief in Gaylord's and the other workman's eyes was worth every moment of not being upset, worried or frustrated.  I could see they were expecting anger, tears or emotions, but all they got was forgiveness.  You could tell that a weight had been lifted off their shoulders.  And I felt really good about doing that for them.

And it gave me a glimpse of what I look like when I experience the grace from God.

Head on over to Shannon's place for some excellent tips on how to make life a little easier.

Labels: , , ,