Thursday, February 07, 2008

There’s Power In The Blood

We gave blood the other day. I received a call from a blood bank who stated that there is a blood shortage due to the wrecks in the bad weather we’ve had around our city lately. I signed us up immediately because it’s a small thing to do that will help someone else in a time of need.

Mr. Right and I arrived for our appointment with the kids in tow. They’re old enough to see us give, and they need to learn early that it’s not a painful event at all.

Now Mr. Right sailed through the entire process in 30 minutes, no problems or glitches anywhere.

Me? I was still sitting in the booth, waiting for them to go over my information by the time he was eating pie with the kids.

I was still waiting when they left to go home.

I was just getting onto the chair when four drop-ins who arrived after me were already hooked up and ready to go.

I was still sitting there, filling a bag when three of the drop-ins were on their way to the sugar table.

I was finally heading home an hour and a half after stepping foot in the door.

I think God was having a little fun at my expense over the lie I told.

But you know what? I’ll do it all over again in the next blood drive. It was worth every minute of it. Not only to me, but to the person that will use it when the time comes. And who's to say that it won't be me?

If you can do it, would you donate a pint of blood? Consider it an anonymous donation and leave knowing that you may have saved a life one day. You’ll feel really good about that as you walk out the door. 

Plus they give you pie or cookies for it. It’s totally worth the trade.

Labels: ,