Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Momma Said There’d Be Days Like This

I love being busy. It makes the work day go so much faster. I have an idea of being needed. I feel important, necessary, and over all appreciated and capable of doing a good job.

What I don’t like feeling is that my head is spinning. Call me Linda Blair of the business world. As of yet, there has been no spewing… but the day is not over yet. And no, I am not referring to the monstrous stomach flu that seems to be prevailing everywhere.

I feel as if I can’t keep myself focused on one task because there are so many to do. And by the time that I complete one, there are three others to put in its place. What’s that saying: “One step forward, two steps back”? That’s me today. I got pulled into a meeting today, and I think by the time I left, I was more confused than when I went in.

Oh, and I had to totally fess up to a friend about getting off the exercise routine. I was so hoping he wouldn’t ask how I was doing with it because then I wouldn’t feel the need to lie about it. But I told the truth anyway. What is funny is that I ran during the cold months and felt good about it. But when it warmed up and then got cold again, that was when I fell back. I don’t have a good excuse like my leg fell off or my dog ate my shoe. Just didn’t want to get cold… Dumb, I know, but there it is none the less.

And tonight, I have get to go to my daughter’s violin concert. All those 4th graders… playing in a concert… at the same time.

Yeah, I mean it like that.

So after all that whining and complaining, let me think some positive thoughts:

I am extremely thankful for having a job that I love, working with people I truly like and having challenging activities to pursue. I am even more appreciative to have internet access so that I can catch up with the musings of my blogging friends on breaks.

I am grateful that I have a friend who will hold me accountable and encourage me when I fail, even if – especially if – it is only a failure in my mind.

And I am delighted to have a body to work on because it means that I have enough to eat.

I am blessed with being able to hear all sorts of things, be it my daughter’s voice, my son’s laughter, my husband’s sweet-everythings, a friend’s advice or even a room full of 4th graders playing violin.

I am glad God gave me a sense of humor, as odd as it may be because without that, I really would go mad.

There, I feel better already. Nothing like a bit of reality check to bring me back to earth. That and a good run. I’m digging my running shoes out of the closet when I get home.

Labels: