Friday, April 07, 2006

Random Happenings

Just to throw Susanne off again, I am going to post this early. I’ve got to keep that girl on her toes!

A few more laughs from our life:

I had earned a gift card to one of the restaurants in town. Last night I so didn’t want to cook so I called Mr. Right to have him meet us at the restaurant. He really liked the idea of going out and not having to pay for it.

We sat down and ate, enjoying our time together as a family. The bill came and I reached for the gift card. Mr. Right looked up at me with this look of “oh-no” in his eyes. He paid for it on the bank card, the one that made the meal NOT free.

It just goes to show that you can’t win for winning sometimes…


Last Friday, Mr. Right was getting everyone ready for school. (He drops the boy off at Y-care and I pick him up. It works for us.) He got everything ready and went to the school to drop the boy off. When he got back in the car to go to work, he kept thinking that he was glad it was casual day at work. He looked down to realize he still had his slippers on. His place isn’t that casual… Next thing you know, he will trying to go to work in his pajama pants and robe.

Yesterday, my son wanted to show me what he did on the playground, a playground full of soft rubber bits like mulch. It feels as if you are walking on down pillows, it is so soft.
But he decides to show me at school, in the hall, on the not so soft floor.

Before I could question him about what he was going to do, he ran, did this head-first somersault and landed on his bottom. As he is splayed on the ground, I ask him if it felt better to do that on the soft playground. He said yes, but then he had this odd look on his face, as if he were savoring something. Then he looked up at me and said, “I like the blinking pain.”

Wha? What is that? He reached up, put his hand on top of his head and proceeded to open and close it. “You know, blinking pain. It’s there, not there. There. Not there. It feels good.” (Blood pulsing through veins) Never thought of that way…

(I posted this next one in Shannon’s comment section today, so if you’ve read it already you can skip it.)

When I was a new mother (2-3 weeks of motherhood under my belt) my husband and I decided to go to Subway for lunch. When we pulled up to it, we debated on whether to eat it there or to take it home; home won.

We went in, ordered, and returned to the car. When we shut the door, we heard a soft, sleepy sigh. My husband and I looked at each other with surprise and horror as we realized that we BOTH forgot that we had our daughter to take into the store.
I'm so thankful that we didn't decide to eat in...

We laugh a nervous laugh about it now, glad that she was okay and safe. How could anyone forget they had a baby? We were that tired. I don’t think I’ve ever caught up since then…

My kids have memorized a lot of scripture the past few months. (They did this with the church basketball league.) We want to keep this good habit going so one of the ones that we have been saying every morning to the kids is “This is the day the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it!” Lately we’ve begun the sentence and let the kids finish it.

One morning, I began the scripture: “This is the day the Lord has made…” My son finished it with: “Let us rejoice… in our sufferings!” When I looked at him, he was grinning ear to ear. He was so proud of himself for remembering. Too bad it was the wrong verse! I couldn’t help but laugh. Oh that I would have that attitude!

So what are some of the funnies that happen to you? Come on, fess up. It is good to know that we aren’t alone in being human!

Labels: