Monday, June 04, 2007

Wizards, Jackson, Brooks and Dunn, Oh My!

What a fantastic, highly entertaining weekend we've had. It was more fun than a couple should be allowed, but we're thanking God for the entire time.

One thing I didn't tell you because I was afraid it might look like bragging was Mr. Right also won tickets through his work to the KC Wizards game this weekend. It seems that the winning streak was quite a family affair. We knew we were blessed before then, but we couldn't help but praise God for his favor in this abundance.

So on Friday, since we knew we were pawning our kids off on a wonderful family, we had a family night, filled with all sorts of things our kids love. We made some of their favorite foods for dinner, and then we all piled into our bed to snuggle together to watch Monsters, Inc. It's been so long since we've seen that one. We all just laughed and laughed and laughed.

Saturday morning found me making chocolate chip pancakes... yes, nothing but the healthiest of breakfast fares around here. We all just took it really easy as Mr. Right was still recovering from bronchitis. He slept most of the day to aid in his recovery. (I guess I can't blame her for his sudden illness after all. And yes, he's still not over her because despite his taking a sick day Friday, he still pulled her out to spend time with her. I'd consider adding some knew gadgets to myself if it meant he would handle me as much, but I'm thinking that it wouldn't be worth the effort... Besides, the way I'm getting, the pieces would fall off or I couldn't remember where I placed them.)

By late afternoon, we had the kids in the care of our dear friends. They graciously offered to keep our kids both nights as we would be late in returning for each of the events. What a great blessing! We were able to relax and to enjoy ourselves without worrying about picking up the kids. We attended the pre-game corporate party, and then we went in to watch an awesome soccer game - KC Wizards vs. the NY Red Bulls. It was high scoring (3-2) and very exciting. The Wizards won, making them the #1 MLS team for now. It was exciting enough to go to the game, but to have them win and place first just made it seem so much sweeter. Great weather, no bugs and great seat neighbors really made the entire evening memorable.

Sunday night found us sitting at the outdoor amphitheater for an exhilarating, sold-out concert for Brooks & Dunn and Alan Jackson. And although Mamarose offered me her boots (wasn't she sweet!) to round out my country look, I decided to go with sandals anyway. We were sitting in the lawn section, and I had "Gone Country" in my cut-offs and bare feet during the concert. I was going for the true country spirit. It was another perfect night for a concert under the stars.

It was such a thrilling time! Brooks & Dunn were high energy performers, and I was surprised at how many songs of theirs I knew. (I like country music, but I'm not a fanatic to know who sings what.) Mr. Right and I clapped and danced (the white people's dance) and sang so much, we were growing tired and hoarse by the end of their performance. AND we still had Alan Jackson to go! In "Only In America," they included a military presence from the local Fort Leavenworth Army base where four members of our service marched on stage carrying items that a soldier in the war would be wearing - helmet, gun, boots, and something else that I can't recall - and placed them on the stage in for all of us see. It was as it they were honoring the fallen and those who are still fighting for our freedom. You should have seen how the crowd went WILD! They received deafening roar from the audience during all of it. It was inspiring to see how they chose to offer honor to those serving us.

Alan Jackson was such an amazing singer. He's not a performer, per se, because he didn't run around the stage and portray high energy like Brooks & Dunn, but his vocals were true and real and his presence was strong. I was most amazed at his incorporating his family into his show by use of family pictures and videos that showed his wife and family as a focal part of his life. It was also like a reminder that he knew his priorities, and though he couldn't be near them on tour, he wanted to show everyone how much they were with him then. It really seemed that he loved his family, and he was telling all the groupies out there to not even bother trying to come onto him. To me, he said, "I'm a taken man," and he wanted everyone to know it by showing clips of his dancing with his wife and looking at her with love in his eyes. Just gorgeous, I tell you. It made me hold on a little tighter to Mr. Right and to thank God for his goodness to me forletting a man like Mr. Right love me.

Mr. Right and I agreed that our favorite moments in the entire night were the fact that both artists showed great character and advocacy on their dependence on God through many of their songs. We were all praising God and singing words to his glory and strength while enjoying a secular performance. And if that doesn't show a great way to minister to others, I don't know what else will. I'm sure not everyone there was a believer, but they were singing words like:

I raise my hands, bow my head
I'm finding more and more truth
in the words written in red.
They tell me that there's more to life
than just what I can see.

And:

But I know Jesus and I talk to God
And I remember this from when I was young
Faith, Hope and Love are some good things He gave us
And the greatest is Love.

You never know what will encourage someone to seek out God. I love that they aren't afraid to share their faith in their music. It just may be the outlet that leads them to find God in their search of the meaning of life.

So Mr. Right and I had a blast being together this weekend. We're very thankful to God for blessing us the way he has recently, and we're even more thankful that we had each other as great dates.

So what are you thankful about today? I'd love to hear about some of your blessings too!